Friday, October 31, 2014

Week 11: A Wonderful Week and Medication Administration

Last week, I was really discouraged at the end of the week because it had been a long, stressful, fairly unpleasant week. The teachers had yelled at us due to miscommunications (every class...), I failed a nursing skill, and we had a test I needed to be studying for. And, we got dispatched to a surprise cardiac arrest (as in, we were told it was an allergic reaction instead of a dead person) five minutes before we could call out of service Saturday night. Ok, so that was actually pretty exciting (it was my first code!) but the adrenaline crash afterward was pretty horrible... lol.

I just learned about how to put .gifs into Blogger so this post will be full of them... :-D

However, this week was wonderful - I aced my test on Monday (yay!), passed my skill test (yay!), the teachers were nice to us this week (yay!), my group got a lot accomplished for our nutrition project presentation due the week of Thanksgiving (yay!), and I got hired to photograph a guy proposing to his girlfriend on Saturday (yay!). This week was a wonderful respite from last week. :-D



Anyway, this week we learned about medication administration. I thought it would be fun to share some of the weird facts I learned this week:

Don't ever give ear drops to someone if they're cold. You need to roll them between your hands for a few minutes to bring the drops to room temperature. The middle ear is super sensitive to temperature and cold ear drops will cause the patient to have nausea, vertigo, and debilitation for a few minutes!

Fainting goats :)

When giving an injection, it should take 10 seconds to inject 1 mL. Yesterday, we had to pretend to give an injection of 2.5 mL so yes, it took us 25 seconds to give this shot!

1...2...3...4...5...6...7...etc...
If a patient uses a Metered Dose Inhaler (MDI), they need to rinse their mouth out two minutes later so fungus doesn't grow in their mouths.


There are between 600,000-1,000,000 accidental needle sticks of health care providers reported each year...


Insulin has to be given by injection instead of orally because the GI tract digests insulin before it can do any good.

I couldn't find a good gif for this so I decided to post a funny gif of the Kardashians because they're dumb.
Well, folks, that's it! :-D

...Until next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment